Monday, May 10, 2010

Thought for the day May 10

I have just returned from a 3 day convention, the Michigan Governors Conference on Tourism with its slogan, Pure Michigan.
"Pure Michigan" is the "brand" and advertising campaign for promoting tourism in Michigan. Our state is blessed with unimaginable beauty on land and water, from the Great Lakes, as well as thousands of inland waterways. We have been a destination for millions, particularly in- state, as well as regionally for decades.

Much of the increase in Michigan's tourism numbers are attributed to advertising. The award winning "Pure Michigan" spots are now seen nationally. I agree, they are very well done. Studies have shown that over $2.00 come into our state for every $1.00 spent on advertising. The numbers seem to show that advertising is a good investment..

The conference took place on the beautiful and historic Mackinac Island. This auto-less, horse and buggy town is known for its simplistic ways and turn-of-the-century feel. It's slogan "where time stands still" is a perfect model for "cross- trickle" economics.

The Assembly Line Party is seeking to implement a study which will show how the domestic manufacturing industry is integral to the economies of every town throughout the USA, simply by entering the town's zip code.

Under The ALP ctdm (cross trickle domestic manufacturing) map, If I entered the zip code of Mackinac Island., 49757, it would probably show that nearly 100% of employment on the island comes from tourism.

Everything M.I., MI. is about tourism. Lets run my vacation as an example.

Firstly, I drove 300 miles in my domestic, Detroit-born auto through Michigan to get to Mackinaw City, at the tip of the lower peninsula. From there, I took a ferry ride over to the Island . I landed at the pier where I took a horse drawn taxi to the beautiful Grand Hotel. I stayed at the hotel where I attended speeches and seminars, ate, slept in a clean room, watched a little tv...I went into town where I bought souvenirs, ate, took a tour, rented a bike...

All of these activities had employees to perform a function or supply the good that I purchased. I spent my money to support the sole industry in that town. This money was regenerated into the local M.I. economy by the hotel, taxi company, bike rental store, gift shop and restaurant employees. The people who work on the island that provided me with what I bought, reinvested in their community with their own living expanses; food, clothing, shelter, recreation, health care...

But where did my money come from? This, after all made my stay possible, propelling the entire flow of money.

Well, I got my money from saving what was left after I had paid my bills (in a perfect world!). Essentially, my money was generated from the customers that ate and drank in my cafe in Detroit (Ferndale). They got their money to buy my food and drink from their salary. They may have worked in one of our automobile assembly line plants, or for a supplier, truck driver, sales person... any one of the myriad of jobs that are a result of the domestic auto and manufacturing industry.

A moral of the story? The auto-less, bygone days tourist town of Mackinac Island, Michigan, zip code 49757 would be nothing more than an historical blip on the map, were it not for the domestic auto and manufacturing industry, born downstate in Detroit.

Mackinaw City on the mainland would likely be a lovely fishing town of a few hundred people, if not for the residual effect of being the gathering point of thousands of autos and buses that bring all of the tourists to their town to catch the ferry that takes them to the island.

Bottom line:

The flow of tourism dollars and the generating employment is a direct result of domestic manufacturing.

Just ask MI, MI.

Follow the trail

How does the domestic manufacturing industry affect you, your profession and your town?

See if you can "follow the trail" from where the money starts and how it becomes what's in "your wallet."




1 comment: