Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thought for the day May 5

In memorium to Ernie Harwell, who passed away yesterday, May 4, 2010 at 92 years of age. My thoughts are with Lulu, his wife of 68 years, and to Michigan, who says goodbye to a dear friend.

Ernie was a friend of mine. I am one of the fortunate of many, many others who had a personal relationship with him, not for any other reason than a man who, despite his stature, reached out to help me. I will forever have your example of kindness and humilty to carry with me as I live my days here on Earth.

Note* I'll be out of town until Sunday, May 9. I'll know more later on whether I can contribute to this column while I'm away!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

I applaud the celebration of of a rich culture and heritage.

The Latino community of The United States should be embraced and as any immigrant heritage. A people and a culture should be a shining example of the greatness of America.

The "idea" that is The United States should always be about the opportunities all people are afforded, that is the right to make a living and provide a home where the rights of our citizens , those inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are never given preferred status to anyone.

The need for "assimilation", that is the melding of ones history and custom into the custom and heritage of the country in which one chooses to live make for a sound argument.

Reconcilling customs and ways of life to fit into the best for a society as a whole is a good thing, provided it be reasonable and without undue hardship to someone.

It must be always an intolerable action to discriminate for prejudice to any person. Our society as a whole deserves no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment